As more as the technology develops it gives more flexibility, usability, and portability. With the introduction of cross-platform technology like virtualization and remote computing, any program can be run on any platform irrespective of compatibility. Hardware virtualizations allows to create a fully working virtual machine on any platform. VMWare Workstation is one such hardware visualization platform available in the market on which any virtual machines can be created. In this post, we will show you how to install Linux Mint on VMWare Workstation to create a full-fledge working Linux Mint virtual machine.
What Is Linux Mint?
Linux Mint is a Linux operating system based on the Ubuntu platform. Linux Mint operating system is most likely developed for desktop and laptop computers. Its multimedia, graphic design, web, and gaming support have made Mint the fastest-growing Linux distribution. For more information, visit its home site.
What Is VMWare Workstation?
VMWare Workstation is an application developed by VMWare to create virtual machines, containers, and Kubernetes clusters on any desktop or server system. VMWare released VMWare Workstation in two products: VMWare Workstation Pro and VMWare Workstation Player. VMWare Workstation Player is released on a free license with limited features, whereas VMWare Workstation Pro is an enterprise paid version that has loaded with a lot of features. Full documentation is published on the VMWare portal for free. Refer to the documentation from here.
Prerequisites To Install Linux Mint On VMWare Workstation:
To install Linux Mint on VMWare Workstation you just need a physical machine, VMWare Workstation Pro or Player, and Linux Mint ISO image.
- A host system with minimum:
- 8 GB of memory
- A quad core CPU
- 500 GB of Hard Drive
- VMWare Workstation Pro or Player application:0
- Linux Mint Operating System to install on VMWare Workstation.
How To Install Linux Mint On VMWare Workstation?
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Install Linux Mint on VMWare Workstation?
- Fier up VMWare WorkstationDownload the VMWare Workstation application for your host operating system and install it on your machine. The installation procedure is pretty simple and straight. Read the documentation for more details. Open the app after installation. Create a new Virtual Machine.
- Select Custom Configuration WizardYou can choose either Typical or Custom Wizard. We recommend selecting Custom if you want to install with all the configurations. If you are okay with default configurations then go ahead with Typical configurations.
- Select Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibilityrkstation 16x – NextGo with the default option if you don’t have the choice.
- Select the Operating System MediaSelect ‘I will install the operating system later’ for an interactive installation.
- Select Guest Operating System
- Name the Virtual Machine Name and locationType a name and give the location details.
- Allocate the ProcessorsAssign the processors, Calculate the processor required to run the host machine. Assign the leftover resources to the virtual machine.
- Allocate the Memory for Virtual MachineMemory allocation calculation is the same as the processor allocation. Leave sufficient memory for the host system and allocate the remaining memory for the virtual machine.
- Choose the Network ConfigurationSelect any one of the network configurations as per your requirement.
- Select the I/O Controller Type
- Select Disk Type
- Select Virtual DiskSelect the Virtual Disk if you have or create one.
- Select Disk CapacitySelect the disk size. Selecting a single disk will increase the performance. However, selecting a split disk will help in the disk transfer scenario.
- Specify Virtual Disk File
- Create Virtual Machine
- Supply Linux Mint ISO Image to Virtual MachineDownload Linux Mint image. Edit the CD/DVD settings and import the downloaded Linux Mint image.
- Install Linux Mint on VMWare Workstation
- Power On the Virtual MachinePress the Play button to power on the Virtual Machine.
- Welcome Linux Mint Live BootAfter booting the Linux Mint, You will see a fully functional live operating system. You can explore Linux and try how does it work. You can install Linux just by double click on the CD incon.
- Welcome Linux Mint Virtual MachineAfter initiating the installation from the live boot. you will be treated with a welcome screen on which you will see the option to select the language. Select your language and click Continue.
- Select Keyboard Layout
- Check the install multimedia codecs of needed.
- Partition the DiskSelect Erase the Disk for auto partition. Or Select the Advance option to create the custom partition.
- Write Changes to Disk
- Select Time Zone
- Create an Admin Account
- Installation of Linux Mint in Progress
- Reboot Virtual MachineReboot the machine after installation.
- Remove the installation mediaRemove the installation media before reboot.
- Boot Linux Mint