If you are into cybersecurity you may hear about Kali Linux. However, Parrot OS is another Linux distribution which is built more or less for the same purpose as same as Kali Linux. Since Parrot OS is not a general-purpose Linux distribution, it is more often to see the Parrot OS running as a guest operating system rather host. If you don’t know more about the Parrot Linux, don’t worry, we are here to introduce you Parrot OS and how you can install Parrot OS on virtual platform like VMWare Workstation.
What is Parrot OS?
Parrot OS is a community supported open source Linux distribution built on Debian platform like Kali Linux. Parrot OS is not developed for general-purpose use. It is developed by community of developers and security specialists together to build a shared framework of tools for pen-testers, security researchers, security auditors, digital forensics, threat hunters, reverse engineering, and people who associated with the cybersecurity landscape. Learn more about Parrot OS from here.
What is VMWare Workstation?
VMWare Workstation is an application developed by VMWare to create virtual machines, containers, and Kubernetes clusters on any desktop or server system. VMWare released VMWare Workstation in two products: VMWare Workstation Pro and VMWare Workstation Player. VMWare Workstation Player is released on a free license with limited features, whereas VMWare Workstation Pro is an enterprise paid version that has loaded with a lot of features. Full documentation is published on the VMWare portal for free. Refer to the documentation from here.
Prerequisites to Install Parrot OS on VMWare Workstation:
- A host system with minimum:
- 8 GB of memory
- A quad core CPU
- 500 GB of Hard Drive
- VMWare Workstation Pro or Player application:0
- Parrot OS ISO bootable image to install on VMWare Workstation.
How to Install Parrot OS on VMWare Workstation?
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Install Parrot OS on VMWare Workstation?
- Fier up VMWare WorkstationDownload the VMWare Workstation application for your host operating system and install it on your machine. The installation procedure is pretty simple and straight. Read the documentation for more details. Open the app after installation. Create a new Virtual Machine.
- Select Custom Configuration WizardYou can choose either Typical or Custom Wizard. We recommend selecting Custom if you want to install with all the configurations. If you are okay with default configurations then go ahead with Typical configurations.
- Select Virtual Machine Hardware CompatibilityChose the most comparable version of the workstation for your hardware. Select the latest available option or just go with the default option if you don’t have the choice.
- Select the Operating System MediaSelect ‘I will install the operating system later’ for an interactive installation.
- Select Guest Operating System
- Name the Virtual Machine Name and locationType a name and give the location details.
- Allocate the ProcessorsAssign the processors, Calculate the processor required to run the host machine. Assign the leftover resources to the virtual machine. We recommend to go with the below allocation setting.
- Allocate the Memory for Virtual MachineMemory allocation calculation is the same as the processor allocation. Leave sufficient memory for the host system and allocate the remaining memory for the virtual machine.
- Choose the Network ConfigurationSelect the network configuration which goes well with your set up.
- Select the I/O Controller Type
- Select Disk Type
- Select Virtual DiskSelect the Virtual Disk if you have or create one.
- Select Disk CapacitySelect the disk size. Selecting a single disk will increase the performance. However, selecting a split disk will help in the disk transfer scenario.
- Browse the Virtual Disk File
- Click Finish
- Supply Parrot OS ISO Image to Virtual MachineDownload Parrot OS image. Edit the CD/DVD settings and import the downloaded Parrot OS image.
- Power On the Virtual MachinePress the Play button to power on the Virtual Machine.
- Parrot OS live bootAfter boot up just dubble Click on ‘Install Parrot’ Icon to invoke the installation.
- Welcome Parrot OS Virtual MachineAfter powering on the Virtual machine, you will be treated with a welcome screen on which you will ask you to choose the language. Select the language and click next.
- Select – Region (America) – Zone (New York) – Next
- Select Keyboard LayoutSelect your keyboard layout or just go by default English (US).
- Partition the DiskSelect Erase the Disk for auto partition. Or Select the Advance option to create the custom partition.
- Create an a User AccountType Name – Login Name – Computer Name – Password – Click Next
- Click – Next
- Write Changes to Disk to begin installationClick – Install Now
- Welcoe To Parrot OS Installation ScreenInstallation is in progress…
- Login to the Parrot OSThe VM will reboot after the completion of the installation. Just log in with the user account created in step 23.
- Parrot OS DesktopThis finishes the installation of Parrot OS on VMWare Workstation.